The (LiiDi2) – mobility digital twin as an enabler of services project helped create a model for mobility digital twins and developed new methods for data collection.
The digital twin for mobility provided a virtual representation of traffic, the infrastructure and conditions. It brought together different sources of information and opened up opportunities for new services and development of a functional city.
The objective of the LiiDi2 project was to improve cities’ capabilities to react to and meet challenges with changes in mobility and traffic and create the prerequisites for developing mobility innovations. The project expanded the current service offering and improved the level of traffic and transport services for residents and businesses.
This was accomplished by:
- creating a model for the digital twin of mobility
- developing and piloting new data collection methods
- developing and piloting an innovative procurement model
- creating a dialogue between multiple operators
- enabling new market potential for businesses in the sector and service
solutions for cities in the region
Duration, partners and funding
- The project duration was 08/2021 to 08/2023.
- The total budget was 871,363 euros, of which Forum Virium Helsinki’s share was 588,738 euros.
- The project was funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and the Helsinki-Uusimaa Regional Council as part of the European Union’s measures implemented due to the COVID-19 pandemic (REACT-EU).
- The project was carried out by Forum Virium Helsinki and Stara.
The role of Forum Virium Helsinki
Forum Virium Helsinki coordinated the project and implemented many of its measures, including the bringing together of the developer network in charge of creating the digital twin for mobility, creation of the traffic data collection and utilisation models, searching for and coordinating data collection pilots as well as communicating the results.
the main LiiDi2 contact persons at Forum Virium Helsinki:
- Project Manager Helmi Tuori
- Technical Specialist Johan Lindqvist (Data sources)
- Senior Specialist Raimo Tengvall (Collaboration and networks): tel.+358 40 629 7744, email: raimo.tengvall@aapo-rista
In addition to this, Forum Virium Helsinki supported Helsinki City Construction Services, Stara in developing an innovative acquisition model.
- Stara, Project Manager Toni Liikamaa (Innovative procurements): tel. +358 405069704, email: email@example.com
Benefits for Helsinki
The LiiDi2 project supported the development of the City of Helsinki digital twin and the situational picture of traffic in the city. The primary target group of LiiDi2 consisted of companies in Uusimaa.
During the project period, workshops on defining the digital twin for mobility and networking events were organised for both companies and City of Helsinki stakeholders. Models for identifying, opening and deploying data sources were tested in hackathons and pilot open calls launched by the project.
The project events and deliverables can be grouped under four main themes: The current status and need assessment, Data sources, Data collecting and Definition & modelling of the Digital Twin of Mobility.
- Workshop on the needs related to digital twin of mobility on companies’ side
- Working paper on current state of data sources and digital twin of mobility
25. – 27.11.2022 Digital Twins Hackathon – Building sustainable futures within the most functional city
Forum Virium Helsinki and Stara co-organised together with Metropolia University of Applied Sciences a Digital Twins -hackathon – Building sustainable futures within the most functional City 25.–27.11.2022. Partnering organisations are Urban Tech Helsinki, KiraHub and companies ABB and Skanska as challenge owners on Metropolia´s challenges.
We have now the winners for our city maintenance and city logistics challenges: we want to thank the teams for their brilliant thinking and good solutions, mentors for their engagement and jury members for just decisions.
- Article: Winners of the hackathon
- Hackathon info webinar recording for participants
- Article: Does open data create better services
- Article: Impact – Digital Twins Hackathon boosts growth companies activities
- Article: Impact – New company emerged from a hackathon
LiiDi2 project opened two agile pilot tendering processes to gain insight on the potential of Stara’s mobile maintenance fleet as an IoT platform as well the Urban city environment as an IoT platform.
The pilots are still running. An open demo event was organised on Tue 16.5. The event was recorded and the recording will be published with subtitles later on.
- Call for tendering opened
- Chosen pilots and companies
What is the digital twin of mobility, and what is required for its development? Key objectives on this are:
- Compilation of observations collected in previous work phases together with the business network
- A model of the digital twin of mobility (DTM)
- Support for innovative procurement (related to IoT procurements)
- Requirements for the DTM data ecosystem
The definition work is ongoing, and results will be published in June/July 2023.
13.6.2023 Closing seminar of LiiDi2 project
The closing event of LiiDi2 project will be held on Tue 13.6. at 9-12 as a hybrid (onsite attendance as well as online). The language of the event is mostly Finnish, but a recording will be made with translations. You are warmly welcome! Registration is now open (form in Finnish)
Meet the LiiDi2 experts
There are several contacts at Forum Virium and Stara taking part in the project, who also attend and give presentations at events. Come meet us at these forthcoming events!
15.–17.11.2022 Smart City Expo World Congress
22.3.–23.3.2023 Väylät ja liikenne
18.4.2023 International Federation of Municipal Engineering (IFME) World Congress
22. – 24.5.2023 ITS European Congress Lisbon 2023 also at Nordic+ booth area, B3
6. – 7.6.2023 Tampere Smart City Expo & Conference
Image: Jussi Hellsten / Helsinki Marketing